Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homework Assignment 5

Use the pH paper to develop a table and graph of the pH of common things around your home. Think in terms of at least 10 different liquids.

I made a chart of all of the information that I needed to gather about the pH levels of 10 different liquids that I could find in my dorm room. I found it interesting that I could not find anything that would be a 9 or a 10. This was an interesting experiment to find out how acidic the everyday things really are.


     Liquids
    pH2
    3
      4
     5
      6
      7
           8
     9
      10
Milk






         X


Red Bull
      X

         






Apple Juice


         X

         




Cranberry Pomegranate Juice


         X

         




Cinnamon Sugar Febreze




          X




Nail Polish

    X







Shampoo


     X






Water





     X



Juice from a can of Corn





     X



Hairspray





     X






Develop an experiment to see how much antacid is needed to neutralize an acidic liquid.

For my experiment I used about a 1/2 cup of Apple Juice. I then took a Tums and crushed it up into tiny pieces. I continued to add about a 1/2 a teaspoon at a time and then used to pH paper to test it. It took pretty much the entire Tums to even out the pH level. I finally got about a 7 on the pH scale which is the average and good level.

No comments:

Post a Comment