Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Activity 1 - Scientific Method

Talk about process regarding car that does not start, what do you do?
- First I would try to think of reasons that the car is not starting. Since I do not know much about cars I would probably call a friend for help. If I do not need to be somewhere at the time I might have someone come look at it. When I find out the issue I will call my mechanic friend and ask him to come fix it. If I did need to be somewhere and did not have time to wait for someone to fix my car I would call a friend to pick me up or call a taxi. I would then have to deal with the situation later on. In which I would still have to call my mechanic friend to come help me with my car. So I would observe that I have an issue with my car. I then would try to form a hypothesis of what this issue it. I could predict what the outcome will be before I have someone come look at my car. Testing would be when the mechanic fixes the car and I can see if I was right. It would then be trial and error until the car starts.
- Previous Knowledge/Experience/Observation - Educated Guess - Collaboration/Team Work - Try the fix - Not work, then guess again -

What is the Scientific Method, explain the process and steps?
- Scientific Method is a process used to reach a conclusion about something. There are steps used in science to gather information and how to go about using that information until reaching a correct conclusion.
 1. Observe 2. Form a Hypothesis 3. Make a Prediction using the hypothesis 4. Test your prediction by an experiment 5. Try again until you reach a solution

 
Relate the scientific process to the experiment that you performed on surfaces and liquids.
- The experiment that we performed on surfaces and liquids actually ties into the Scientific Method very well. When I began the experiment I chose one or two different liquids to place on a surface and observe what was going to happen. I had already had an idea of what would happen by forming my own hypothesis or taking my best educated guess. I was able to predict most of the outcomes before seeing what the outcome really was. Our assignment was basically step 4, testing our prediction by an experiment. The experiment was mixing the liquids and watching what happened when you did this. If there was an outcome that I was looking for but did not happen I could try again using different liquids until I reached the solution that I was searching for. It is easy to see how the Scientific Method tied in so well with the experiment because these exact steps were used throughout the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment